Because of the exceptional Covid-19 circumstances, the EBU will extend the present membership with one year. The current 2020 memberships will continue until the end of 2021. Consequently, members who join(ed) in 2020 will enjoy a membership until the end of next year. Why do not consider to become now a member and extend your new membership to the end of 2021? In this way you will take advantage of it and help us to continue promoting the blues during these real difficult times. Read more at: https://www.europeanbluesunion.com/membership-rules/
UKBlues Challenge will be taking place at the Bluefunk Rhythm and Blues Club, Poynton, Cheshire on Saturday 14th September 2019.
Doors open at 18.30 and the evening will close at around 23.15
Tickets priced at £17.50 (plus booking fee) seated and £15.00 (plus booking fee) standing are now on sale and can only be purchased via SeeTickets.com at this link:
Demand for tickets is already very high and there is a very limited number of tickets available so, to avoid disappointment, we do urge you to get yours now before they are all gone.
Participants in this year’s UKBlues Challenge were announced over a period of five weeks and they are, in alphabetical order:
Crossfire Blues Band
In addition, one of the four bands selected to play under the Jessica Foxley Stages banner at the Great British Rhythm and Blues Festival will be chosen by representatives of the Jessica Foxley Stages project to participate in the UKBlues Challenge.
The Foundation Blues in Zaanstad, Organizer of the EBC-2020, to be organized 17-18 April 2020, expects a full house during both nights. In order to give all European blues lovers an equal opportunity to get tickets, it has been decided to prepare an order form with which each person can show his/her interest. Each individual can pre-order one or two tickets. The pre-order period has started 1 June and will end 31 July. During the month of August everyone who has sent in his/her pre-order properly will receive information on how to order and pay for the ticket(s) with iDeal, credit-card etc. We kindly ask our national organisations to promote it.
Please note that those EBU active members who have paid for their membership fee for 2020 in due course will automatically have their tickets reserved for them without this pre-order and paying scheme. More information at https://www.ebc2020.nl/
Five non-American young guys (on a total of 40 students) were in Clarksdale for the Pinetop Perkins Foundation Workshop and had great blues moments with their teachers, all great stars from the American Blues scene.
Two of them were supported by EBU, Will Hemy from UK and Evan Guenebault from France, both guitar players, and enjoyed the lessons and masterclasses with the great Steady Rollin’ Bob Margolin.
After 4 nights of jam sessions at Hopson Commissary, the final showcase took place at the famous Ground Zero Blues Club where all the students had the opportunity to show the results of this amazing workshop.
Thanks to all the teachers, Bob Margolin, Bob Stroger, Anthony Geraci, Fiona Boyes, Phil Wiggins, Heather Crosse, Lee Williams … and to Pat Morgan and all the Board at Pinetop Perkins Foundation.
The association France Blues has organized in collaboration with the Toulouse Blues Society a new edition of the France Blues Challenge that every year takes place in a different festival. This year the event was held at The Guitare en Save Festival, in a beautiful open air place in the middle of the countryside and near Toulouse. The challenge chooses the artists who will represent France at the European Blues Challenge, as well as the solo/duo and band which will also represent France at the International Blues Challenge in Memphis.
Jury Members, Roser and Fred with Robert Mauries (Cahors Blues Festival) & Luc Tran Van (President of Toulouse Blues Society)
This time there were six finalists -4 bands and 2 solo/duo-, all with an amazing quality. After 20 minutes playing the selected ones were:
La Bedoune as solo/duo for IBC in Memphis
Thomas Doucet & The G.Lights as band for IBC in Memphis
Jessie Lee & The Alchemists for EBC 2020 in Zaandam (Netherlands)
Congratulations to winners and all participants!!
The night ended with an incredible show ny Nico Wayne Toussaint.
Roser with EBC 2020 French band, Jessie Lee & The Alchemists
The Bluestracje in Chorzow – Poland has become a tradition amongst the blues events in Europe. The previous edition took place from 26 until 28 April.
The Bluestracje in Chorzow, Poland, has become a tradition amongst blues events in Europe. The latest edition took place 26 – 28 April. The following bands performed at MDK Batory venue on 26th April: Nico Chona & The Freshtones (Fr), Vanesa Harbek (Arg) and Jo Harman (UK). Polish awards were distributed the following night during “Gala Blues Top 2018” at the Chorzowskie Centrum Kultur. Following artists performed: Natalia Kwiatkowska, Sebastian Riedel, Roman Puchowski, Bartłomiej Szopiński, Michał Kielak, Krzysztof Scierański, Blues Junkers, Blackberry Brothers and Willie Mae Unit. The festival ended on Sunday 28 April with a “Blues Brunch” at Sztygarka Club accompanied by the divine voices of the female trio “Ornery Broad”. The EBU community was also represented, among the attendants our efficient Board assistant Jorden Wouters (Brussels Blues Society). Naturally the hosts and organizers of the event, the Matysik family (Delta Blues), were there whom we congratulate and thank for their enthusiasm and supporting the blues in Poland and Europe!
Candidates to host EBC 2021 are invited to send an official confirmation of their interest to potentially host it in accordance with the EBC rules (see EBU website) to the EBU secretary.
According to the rules, we will distribute a copy of the standard EBC event contract to all applicants as from 1st October next.
The detailed offers need to be sent to the EBU secretary before 15 January 2019.
Following this date the secretary will communicate all received hosting offers to the EBU Board followed by selection of the two most qualified proposals at one of the following Board meetings.
The two final candidates will be submitted to the vote of EBU Active Members at the GA. Only one city can host the EBC event.
If there is only one approved submission the Board will be entitled to appoint the EBC host.
Thanks in advance!!
At this moment countries have already confirmed their participation at 2019 European Blues Challenge in Ponta Delgada, Azores, Portugal and most of them are now running the band selection process. Here is the list of confirmed countries. Submission deadline 10 September!!:
16) United Kingdom
– The 37th Cahors Blues Festival in France hosted the “Mississippi Blues Trail Challenge”, where originally 70 bands applied and eight of them were invited to the semi-finals and, finally, four bands reached the grand final. The jury members represented various French and European Blues festivals which had agreed to book one of the four finalists to play their festivals. Our board members Ewa and Roser represented the Bluestracje Festival of Poland and Benicassim Blues Festival of Spain, respectively. It was a nice time in Cahors where they had de opportunity to promote the EBU
Also other EBU board members attended the legendary Cahors festival. Pertti presented his successful photo exhibition “Five Decades of Blues” covering almost 90 photographs, including dozens of photos of artists who had along the years played at Cahors. Our legal advisor Jorden Wouters was there, too. All of us did our best to promote the EBU.
– Great blues in a small, cosy place: The kick-off of the St. Izaire Blues Festival took place on 25th July in the nearby village of Salelles, Aveyron, France. The festival organizer was our EBU member, Ben Buijs. Jorden Wouters, spending his summer holiday close by, had the pleasure of attending the kick-off and promoting the EBU. Among others, Dutch artists Dave Warmerdam and Lothar Wijnvoord created magic moments. Magic is also the setting of the festival: a medieval castle… The headliner was Mambo Jambo, the EBC 2017 participant of Spain. It was once again showcased how the EBC enhances the visibility of European blues artists. Thank you, Ben. Lots of success to your future blues projects!
– Blues Peer has been a regular, important event in the festival calendar for three decades. It is held in the Belgian province of Limburg, not far from the border with the Netherlands and Germany. Since 1985, the festival has always remained true to its roots: the love of music, a relaxed atmosphere and the friendly hospitality of Limburg. So it’s not surprising that many renown Rhythm & Blues artists have graced the Peer festival grounds over the years. It should be highlighted that Blues Peer is one of our distinguished EBC Awarding Festivals. The Ragtime Rumours, EBC 2018 winners, played there with great success. Board member, our treasurer, Winne was there, too.
– Swing Wespelaar festival in Belgium celebrated its 31st edition in mid-August. The beautiful small town of Wespelaar greets a big blues event, always with an exciting roster of artists, a free event that attracts a good number of Belgian and European blues lovers. Like Blues Peer, Swing Wespelaar is one of our distinguished Awarding Festivals. The Ragtime Rumours played also there to a great success. Both Winne and Jorden witnessed them while also promoting the EBU!
The other EBC Awarding Festivals are Hondarribia (Spain), Lucerne and Sierre (both Switzerland), Notodden and Blues in Hell (both Norway), and BB Blues (Portugal)
We are happy to announce that the readers of Polish magazine Twój Blues have voted the European Blues Challenge 2017 the “Blues Event of The Year 2017” in their annual poll
Blues Event of the Year (International)
- EUROPEAN BLUES CHALLENGE
- Chicago Blues Festival
- The death of Gregg Allman
- Blues Alive
- International Blues Challenge
- Blues Festival Eutin
- Lucerne Blues Festival
- Sunflower River Blues & Gospel Festival
- Hudba v Meste
- Hamburg Blues Nights
Twój Blues Magazine received in 2011 the Blues Foundation Keeping The Blues Alive Award. It is Poland only printed publication devoted entirely to blues. The Gala and Award ceremony will take place on 28 April 2018
We hope that European Blues Challenge in Hell 2018 is at least as successful!!
See you in Hell!!